The Best Friends Approach™
It’s about putting people first.
At the Alzheimer Society of Calgary's Club 36 Adult Day Program, we provide care founded in the Best Friends Approach™. This is a model of care specifically for people with dementia that emphasizes empathy and friendship.
Best Friends™ originated from the research and writing of two experts in the field of dementia research (Virginia Bell and David Troxel). Our staff members are thoroughly trained in the Best Friends Approach™ as it aligns with our guiding principles of person-centred care.
The Alzheimer Society of Calgary upholds the Best Friends Approach™ principles, beliefs and practices, that every person with dementia has the right:
- To be treated as an individual, with dignity and respect
- To be in an environment designed for their own abilities and interests
- To be involved in work and play for as long as possible
- To be outdoors on a regular basis
- To have physical contact, including hand-holding and hugging, based on their own comfort levels and needs
- To be with people who know and understand their life story, including family, cultural and religious traditions
- To be cared for by people actively pursuing ongoing training in dementia care.
Learn more about the Best Friends Approach™
Find out how you can adopt Best Friends™ practices or learn how we apply them to the Club 36 Adult Day Program.
What makes the Best Friends Approach™ unique?
Best Friends™ is a care philosophy that puts relationships first focusing on respect, empathy, support, trust and humour.
Many who have used (and now endorse) the approach often find that it improves the quality of care for the people they serve and the working environment for staff.
Interested in the book?
- Borrow a copy from our main office. Contact us.
- Check your local public library location
- Find it for purchase online or at your local bookstore
Note: The Alzheimer Society of Calgary does not receive proceeds from Best Friends Approach™ book sales.
Twice monthly / afternoon or evening sessions availableCaregiver Strategies For DementiaAlzheimer Society of Calgary office (800 - 7015 MacLeod Trail SW)
Adult Day Program /About Club 36
Adult Day Program /Opening Minds Through Art
Adult Day Program /Music At Club 36
Adult Day Program /Daily Activities At Club 36
Adult Day Program /Who Will Take Care Of My Family Member?
Adult Day Program /Testimonials
Adult Day Program /Improvisation At Club 36