10 Valentine’s Day activities for caregivers
Valentine’s Day may be a great time to look back at fond memories and past celebrations. Regardless of where you are in your journey of experience with dementia, it is important to make an effort to celebrate days that hold special meaning for both the person living with dementia and their care partner.
This Valentine’s Day, try choosing activities that stimulate the senses. Social histories for both participants should be considered when selecting specific activities - as well as current interests, strengths, abilities and skill levels. Try to keep the activities fairly short and simple.
Here are 10 suggestions for celebrating Valentine’s Day with your partner, family member or friend who is living with dementia. We hope they’ll bring you some fun this week, or inspire other ideas of your own.
1. Reminisce by looking through old photographs of family and friends
2. Bake and decorate a heart-shaped cake or cookies
3. Create hand-made Valentine’s Day cards
4. Make a fresh flower arrangement
5. Cut out pink and red hearts and decorate the person’s favourite space
6. Make a Valentine’s Day photo collage
7. Reminisce about a wedding, a favourite date, or a first kiss
8. Make and decorate heart-shaped Jell-O (Use Jell-O and garnish with whipped cream and pink and red sprinkles or maraschino cherries and chopped nuts)
9. Listen to love songs
10. Watch a favourite film
For more ideas on daily activities as well as special occasion celebrations, check out Alzheimer's Activities: Hundreds of Activities for Men and Women with Alzheimer's Disease and Related Disorders by B. J. Fitzray
Apr 07, 2021Research Highlights from Padmaja Genesh (March 2021)
Mar 10, 2021Research Highlights from Padmaja Genesh (February 2021)
Mar 07, 2021International Women's Day - Risk Reduction Strategies
Feb 08, 2021Research Highlights from Padmaja Genesh (January 2021)
Feb 05, 2021Tips for Self-Care
Feb 02, 2021Recognizing the signs from afar
Jan 04, 2021Research Highlights from Padmaja Genesh (December 2020)
Dec 09, 2020December 2020 Newsletter
- See more