5 Easy Ways to Help
I felt a sense of peace in knowing I was not alone, and I had somewhere to turn when I needed it. You have enabled me to better understand and support my husband in all that he is experiencing. I'm so grateful for your support.
5 Easy Ways to Help
Walk the Walk, Talk the Talk
In less than four weeks, more than 1,500 Calgarians will gather to walk or run in the Investors Group Thanksgiving Memory Walk & Run. We’re eagerly preparing, and we cannot thank you enough for your support of the Alzheimer Society of Calgary. Everything you’re doing right now, and leading up to the event, will make an impact on the lives of Calgary families dealing with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.
We have one more thing to ask of you.
In addition to walking the walk, we encourage you to talk the talk – meaning, please help us spread the word. Awareness and public education about Alzheimer’s isease and the Thanksgiving Memory Walk & Run will be critical to the cause over the next 23 days.
What’s in it for you?
Participants who are vocal about their participation and engage in community education collect more pledges, attract more participants, and receive support that lasts beyond the event – which then reduces their sense of isolation while dealing with Alzheimer’s disease or other types of dementia in their family.
What can you do? Here are 5 easy ways to help right now:
1. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. We’re developing some custom images you can use to promote the event, educate your network about the cause and attract pledges. Please like, share, re-post, comment or even print them to hang on your office fridge… whatever works best for you. You can find us on Facebook here and on Twitter here.
2. Send a personalized invitation: Give your friends a chance to donate and support you here and invite friends to join you on October 12th here. Sometimes all it takes is a simple, friendly ask.
3. Join the conversation on Twitter by using the hashtag #YYCALZ. This Sunday September 21st is World Alzheimer Awareness Day – the perfect chance to take to the airwaves and connect with others who have been impacted.
4. Share your story. Did you know that 65% of event participants have been directly impacted? Whether your own story involves a family member, friend or even a coworker, sharing it with your community in person or on social media is a great way to educate your network on the effects of Alzheimer’s Disease and garner support.
5. ENTER OUR PRE-EVENT PREP PHOTO CONTEST - #YYCALZprep. Show us how you’re preparing for the Thanksgiving Memory Walk & Run by sharing your pre-event prep pictures on Facebook and Twitter and including the hashtag #YYCALZprep. There is no limit to how many pictures you submit, and each photo will be entered into a random draw for a state-of-the-art Keurig coffee machine and some additional bonus extras, drawn 4:00 pm MST on October 9, 2014. Maybe it’s how you train with your family. Your event day outfit or your running shoes. Your personalized sign or your team costume – we want to see it all. Tag us and include the hashtag #YYCALZprep to be entered.
Contest rules can be found here.
Thank you again! We look forward to hearing your voices over the coming weeks and seeing your faces on October 12.