About Alzheimer's & Dementia
Types of dementia
Aside from Alzheimer’s disease, there are numerous different types of dementia that affect our local community. It’s valuable to have an understanding of the different types of dementia and their symptoms, be able to identify the features of dementia and take proactive measures by seeking early intervention and support.
Look to the left for a menu of choices, or click on any of the highlighted topics below:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Vascular dementia (a series of mini strokes)
- Frontotemporal dementia (where behaviour changes and language challenges are more prominent than memory loss)
- Mixed dementia (a combination of causes)
- Lewy body dementias (a multi-system disease affecting cognition, movement and emotions)
- Young Onset dementia (also known as "Early Onset")
- Other causes of dementia include Huntington's Disease, Down's Syndrome, Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus and more.