Participate In Research
Local, regional and national research studies are part of ongoing global efforts to better understand, manage and hopefully eventually cure dementia.
From time to time the Alzheimer Society of Calgary is notified about opportunities to take part in research on a variety of topics, from clinical studies to those that explore supports both for the person with the diagnosis and the family caregivers. The knowledge gained from these studies informs our understanding of dementia and helps to create new ways to diagnose, treat, and support those impacted by the disease.
The Alzheimer Society of Calgary only lists research studies that are being conducted through post-secondary institutions and that have received ethics approval.
Things to consider before you sign up for a study.
- What are the goals of the study? Understanding the goals of the research can help in determining if the purpose of the study is in line with your own goals for care and support.
- What are the benefits and risks of participation in the study? For example, some studies may allow for access to new medications, but there may be risks associated with trying new treatments.
- What are the time commitments? Some studies may ask for only brief time commitments, while others are more intensive and involved. Consider how the involvement may impact your quality of life.
- A study may require you to discontinue the use of current medications or treatments. If this is the case, it is a good idea to discuss with your physician about the change.
- What follow-up care and support might be available to you after the end of the study if it is needed?
- How will your confidentiality and privacy be protected, and will your personal information be shared with anyone beyond the research team?
Hotchkiss Brain Institue has ongoing studies for those living with dementia, with mild cognitive changes and even for those who want to participate but don't have cognitive issues at this time.
- If you are interested in any research at the Hotchkiss Brain Institute, please email: email@example.com
- Call: 403-210-7737
Information on research projects in Calgary
- Research projects/trials happening in Calgary
- Interested in participating? Here are the next steps
- Identify researcher
- Research project
- Review study
- Check entry criteria
- Decide if you are willing to participate